I can’t even go into all the set backs we had due to the changes in healthcare in the past couple years because I’m one step closer to the edge, and I’m about to break. But just to sum it up for you, between my diagnosis of the uterine septum and possible endometriosis (which turned out to be stage 3) and my actual treatment, it took a YEAR. A whole mother-loving year. And in that year, I had 5, count them, F.I.V.E.!. doctors retire on me. (Not that I blame them, I would have retired as well) So we were just lost in the shuffle every step of the way. There were tests I had to take multiple times because my results were lost, or by the time they got them back to us, they were old news and they wanted current info on what was going on with me. I had to have an HSG TWICE because of this same reason, and those are miserable.
So, needless to say, I’m getting rather effing antsy! Also with 35 just around the corner for me, time is of the essence. So I pretty much had a melt down the other day when the nurse informed me that the Dr. was insisting I get my Rubella vaccination and that you can’t start treatment for 3 whole months after!
We had been over this in his office in our last meeting. He told me that my blood work showed that my Rubella levels were “a little low” and that we should “think” about getting a booster. He also told me the risks on BOTH SIDES of the issue. It sounded to me like it was my prerogative. I am a believer in vaccinations, but I knew that I did still have some of the vaccine in me, and it seemed like something I could do after the baby was born. Also, the fact that there were a couple risks on the side of getting the booster as well, pushed me in the direction of waiting. I’m never around children and would make sure I wasn’t in this time, limit my traveling, and be super careful. The fact is, the vaccine is in my body still, and had I not started this process of ttc I never would have known it was a little low. I felt like it could wait 11 more months.
But now, the WEEK we were supposed to start the IVF process, I find out that it is mandated by the Dr. and he won’t let me start unless I get the vaccine, well, 3 months after actually. I don’t mind him being cautious, he is a doctor and that is his job. I’m also not going to argue with him when he tells me what is best for me and my baby. He is the EXPERT. I am not, I don’t care how much I sit in front of Google. I was still having a very massive woe is me moment after receiving that news.
Anyway, so after all this, I got some pretty good news today. My doctor said that it’s actually only a 30 day period from the time of vaccination and actually getting pregnant that is unsafe. But I can start the treatment within those 30 days, so I’m good to go! I have an appointment this afternoon for my MMR and then I don’t have to worry about it anymore! It’s kind of the best outcome because I would have been a little worried about it even if the doctor had allowed me to sign a waver or something and start treatment without it. And now we can proceed on schedule! For now. We’ll see what this TTC wants to throw at me next. Sometimes I feel like this infertility odyssey is a huge game of dodgeball. *WHAM* You’re out. Go sit in the corner until your next period.